I have been working on a crusty bread recipe for a while and this is the final result... a gluten free and vegan bread. This bread has the consistency of a dense Italian loaf!
1 1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup almond blanched flour/meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbs active dry yeast
1 Tbs coconut sugar or honey
1/4 cup olive oil
- Heat water until warm. Then add yeast and sugar, stir till it's thoroughly mixed then set aside for 10 minutes or until the surface is bubbly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt. Add olive oil and water/yeast mixture, mix at low speed until all ingredients are well incorporated and dough looks smooth.
- Coat the dough with a little bit of olive oil and move to a plastic or ceramic bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for 2 hours or until it is doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a cookie sheet or pizza pan covered with parchment paper and dusted with corn starch or tapioca starch. Shape the dough into desired shape.
- Using a sharp knife, place three small slits on the top of the loaf. Preheat oven at 400 F. While the oven is heating, cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest and rise for an additional half hour.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes or until golden brown in color. Place the bread in a wire rack to cool down.
Store in a zip lock bag at room temperature for the first day, if there is any leftover bread, refrigerate for up to a week. Warm up in slices in a toaster oven or conventional oven for better taste. Enjoy!